Professional Learning Statutes and Rules
Below are links to several statutes and State Board of Education rules relevant to professional development systems and programs.
The authorizing statute for the School Community Professional Development Act, section 1012.98, Florida Statutes (F.S.), outlines the expectations for a coordinated, statewide system of professional development.
State Board of Education Rule
The implementing rule for the professional development system, Rule 6A-5.071, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.), establishes standards for high-quality professional learning; outlines the requirements for professional learning catalog components; sets submission, amendment and review criteria; provides specifications for awarding inservice points; and prescribes record maintenance and data reporting requirements.
2018 Rule Development Cycle
A rule development workshop was held on Thursday, August 16, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. Copies of the workshop materials are provided below.
The proposed changes to the rule were adopted by the State Board of Education on October 25, 2018. The agenda and materials from the October meeting can be found on the State Board of Education’s 2018 Archived Meetings page. The rule went into effect on November 28, 2018.
Other Statutes and Rules Related to Professional Learning
Frameworks for Effective Instruction and Leadership
- Rule 6A-5.065, F.A.C., The Educator Accomplished Practices
- Rule 6A-5.080, F.A.C., Florida Principal Leadership Standards
Programs for Instructional Personnel
- Section 1012.56(8), F.S., Educator Certification Requirements (Professional Development Certification and Education Competency Program)
- Rule 6A-5.066, F.A.C., Approval of Teacher Preparation Programs
- Section 1012.575, F.S., Alternative Preparation Programs for Certified Teachers to Add Additional Coverage