Professional Learning Statutes and Rules
Below are links to several statutes and State Board of Education rules relevant to professional development systems and programs.
The authorizing statute for the School Community Professional Development Act, section 1012.98, Florida Statutes (F.S.), outlines the expectations for a coordinated, statewide system of professional development.
State Board of Education Rule
The implementing rule for school district professional learning systems, Rule 6A-5.069, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.), establishes standards for high-quality professional learning; outlines the requirements for school district professional learning systems; provides a common system template for school district use; establishes a submission process; and sets forth system approval criteria. The implementing rule for professional learning catalogs (formerly, master inservice plans), Rule 6A-5.071, F.A.C., outlines the requirements for catalog components; sets submission, amendment and review criteria; provides specifications for awarding inservice points; and prescribes record maintenance and data reporting requirements.
- Rule 6A-5.069, F.A.C., School District Professional Learning Systems
- Rule 6A-5.071, F.A.C., Professional Learning Catalog
Other Statutes and Rules Related to Professional Learning
Frameworks for Effective Instruction and Leadership
- Rule 6A-5.065, F.A.C., The Florida Educator Accomplished Practices
- Rule 6A-5.080, F.A.C., The Florida Educational Leadership Standards
Programs for Instructional Personnel
- Section 1012.56(8), F.S., Educator Certification Requirements (Professional Development Certification and Education Competency Program)
- Rule 6A-5.066, F.A.C., Approval of Teacher Preparation Programs
- Section 1012.575, F.S., Alternative Preparation Programs for Certified Teachers to Add Additional Coverage