This webpage is intended to provide visitors with information and resources to support the Florida Social Studies Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and the Florida Department of Education’s Social Studies Education Program.
Social Studies Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (PDF) - This document is intended to assist readers in locating information related to the State of Florida’s Social Studies Education Program.
Teaching and Learning Social Studies
- CPALMS: State of Florida’s official source for standards information and course descriptions.
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments: Here you will find information such as test item specifications, sample questions, assessment results, and publications.
- Florida Students: Inside this website you will find resources to support learning in language arts, mathematics, science, middle grades civics, and high school U.S. History.
- Civics 360 is a free online instructional, review, and remediation tool for civic education.
- This resources supports the teaching and learning of middle grades civics and is also applicable to civics and government coursework at other grade levels. It provides standards-aligned student friendly videos, readings in English, Spanish, and Haitian Creole, support guides, and a 60 question practice assessment based on the standards taught in middle grades civics. Additional resources include vocabulary tools and links to the Florida Department of Education's Civics Tutorials.
- Civics360 is funded by the Lou Frey Institute at the University of Central Florida and provided by the Florida Joint Center for Citizenship, in collaboration with the Escambia County School District. Questions about Civics360 may be directed to Dr. Steve Masyada at the Lou Frey Institute (email@example.com).
The Character Lab (University of Pennsylvania)
- The Building Connections resource supports students in understanding how their existing interests relate to the content they learn in school.
- The WOOP (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, and Plan) resource helps students build self-control as they work toward achieving goals.
Initiatives and Programs
- Florida State Statute 683.1455 - American Founders’ Month
- Florida State Statute 1003.4156 - General requirements for middle grades promotion
- Florida State Statute 1003.42 - Required instruction
- Florida State Statute 1003.421 - Recitation of the Declaration of Independence
- Florida State Statute 1003.4282 - Requirements for a standard high school diploma
- Florida State Statute 1003.44 - Patriotic programs; rules
- Florida State Statute 1003.45 - Permitting study of the Bible and religion; permitting brief meditation period
- Florida State Statute 1008.22 - Student assessment program for public schools
Department of Education Resources
- 2016-2017 Course Directory
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments
- Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats)
- Toolkits: Civics and United States History
- Florida Association of Social Studies Supervisors
- Florida Council For The Social Studies
- Florida Council on Economic Education
- Florida Humanities Council
- National Council for History Education
- National Council For The Social Studies
Social Studies Education Specialist
Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 424
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400