Exceptional Student Education
The Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services administers programs for students with disabilities. Additionally, the bureau coordinates student services throughout the state and participates in multiple inter-agency efforts designed to strengthen the quality and variety of services available to students with special needs.
The mission of exceptional student education in Florida, a committed alliance for the development of the unique gifts of each exceptional person, is to ensure the achievement of each and every individual's extraordinary purpose by expanding opportunities through collaboration of families, professionals, and communities who guarantee the highest expectations and individual success.
For easier site navigation, please make use of our new BEESS Website Map (PDF).
Topics of Special Interest
- Updated! Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules (Red book) - Hyperlinked Index
- Facilitated IEP Video for Parents: This exciting new video (available in English with subtitles and Spanish with subtitles) introduces the Facilitated IEP process to parents in order to encourage IEP team resolution.
- The updated 2015 Matrix of Services Handbook (PDF) is now available and online on the FDOE website. Providing professional development on completing the Matrix is a priority of your local FDLRS Associate Center in either face-to-face or online formats. For information on available in-person training, please contact your local FDLRS Center by using the “locate a center” feature in the top left corner of the www.fdlrs.org website. For online instruction in the Matrix, please visit www.fl-pda.org and look under the “Facilitated Modules” section to determine available courses. The FDLRS PDA Online Module is facilitated by an approved Matrix Trainer.
- A Blueprint for Tier 3 Implementation: A Results-Driven System for Supporting Students with Serious Problem Behaviors (PDF)
- FFY 2014 Part B State Performance Plan (SPP)/ Annual Performance Report (APR) (PDF)
- New! Accommodations for Florida’s Statewide Student Assessments (PDF)
- Annual State Application for IDEA, Part B - FY 2015 (PDF)
- Senate Bill 850 and Educational Services in Juvenile Justice Programs
- Procedural Safeguards
- DPS: 2103-105: 2013 Legislation - Senate Bill 1108 (PDF)
- IDEA 2004
- Federal Register / Vol. 73, No. 231 / Monday, December 1, 2008 / Rules and Regulations (PDF)