Florida is the third largest hub for human trafficking in the United States.
What is Child Human Trafficking?
Human trafficking is defined under Florida law as the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjugation to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, slavery, or a commercial sex act. Human trafficking is modern slavery.
There are approximately 30 million people enslaved throughout the world with 2.5 million located right here in the United States.
- Many of these victims are lured with false promises of financial or emotional security; instead, they are forced or coerced into commercial sex (prostitution), domestic servitude or other types of forced labor.
- Any minor under the age of 18 who is induced to perform a commercial sex act is a victim of human trafficking according to U.S. law, regardless of whether there is force, fraud or coercion. Increasingly, criminal organizations, such as gangs, are luring children from local schools into commercial sexual exploitation or trafficking.
- According to the U.S. Department of Justice, every two minutes a child is trafficked for the purpose of sexual exploitation in the United States.
2017 Human Trafficking Awareness Month
How to Report
- Florida Abuse Hotline - 1.806.96.ABUSE (1.800.962.2873)
- Local Law Enforcement - 911
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children CyberTipline
- National Human Trafficking Hotline - 1.888.373.7888
- US Department of Justice - 1.888.428.7581
- FDOE Human Trafficking Month Presentation (WMV, 3GB) - The Department of Homeland Security, Resident Agent in Charge Ralph Bradley - Recorded during Human Trafficking Awareness Month 2016
- Human Trafficking Awareness for Educators Training - National Human Trafficking Resources Center
- Human Trafficking Awareness Training - The Department of Homeland Security/Blue Campaign
- Florida Department of Education (FDOE) Human Trafficking Fact Sheet for Schools (PDF)
- Florida Coalition on Human Trafficking
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- FDOE Child Human Trafficking chapter
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center
- Polaris Project
- Statewide Council on Human Trafficking Annual Report
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Blue Campaign