Curricula & Instruction
Choosing and Delivering Curricula
Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT) The HECAT is an assessment tool to help school districts, schools, and others conduct a clear, complete, and consistent analysis of health education curricula based on the National Health Education Standards and CDC’s Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum. Chapter 6, Module SH, provides guidance in analyzing sexual health curricula.
For a list of programs that were found to be effective at preventing teen pregnancies or births, reducing sexually transmitted infections, or reducing rates of associated sexual risk behaviors (defined by sexual activity, contraceptive use, or number of partners) please visit OAH: Evidence-Based Programs (35 programs).
CDC's Guide: Developing a Scope and Sequence for Sexual Health Education (PDF) A scope and sequence is an essential element of a curriculum framework and is intended to serve as a guide for curriculum directors, administrators, teachers, parents, and school board members.
Summary of UNF Public Opinion Research Laboratory Results (PDF) Survey data collected in seven Florida school districts showing support for sexual health education and sexual health services being provided to students on school campuses.
Sexual Risk & Protective Factors: Factors Affecting Teen Sexual Behavior, Pregnancy, Childbearing and Sexually Transmitted Disease – Which Are Important? Which Can You Change? Doug Kirby, PhD (2007) (PDF)
Brochures & Bookmarks to Download
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Print Version) (PDF)
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Text Version) (Word)
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Spanish) (PDF)
- Ten Tips for Parents to Help Their Children Avoid Teen Pregnancy bookmark (Haitian-Creole) (PDF)
- Definitions of Sexual Health Education Programs brochure (PDF)
- Definitions of Sexual Health Education Programs brochure (Spanish) (PDF)
- Definitions of Sexual Health Education Programs brochure (Haitian-Creole) (PDF)