Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener
Section 1002.69, Florida Statutes (F.S.), requires the Florida Department of Education to adopt a statewide kindergarten screening instrument that assesses the readiness of each student for kindergarten based on the performance standards adopted by the department under section 1002.67(1), F.S., for the Voluntary Prekindergarten Education Program (VPK). The screening instrument, known as the Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener (FLKRS), must be administered to all public school kindergarten students within the first 30 days of each school year. Nonpublic schools may administer FLKRS to each kindergarten student who was previously enrolled in VPK. The results of this screening provide valuable information about a child’s readiness for school, help teachers develop lesson plans to meet each child’s individual needs, and offer useful information to parents.
FLKRS is also used to calculate the kindergarten readiness rates for the VPK Program. For more information on the VPK Provider Kindergarten Readiness Rate, visit the Office of Early Learning (OEL) website.
Beginning with the 2017-18 school year, the FLKRS assessment is the Star Early Literacy®, which is an online, adaptive instrument that students complete independently in approximately 15-20 minutes. For information on FLKRS administrations prior to the 2017-18 school year, contact the Just Read, Florida! office.
Statewide Screening Dates for 2019
For the 2019–20 school year, the statewide screening window for FLKRS begins on July 8, 2019, and ends on October 11, 2019.
Star Early Literacy® Resources
- Access Your District's FLKRS Site
- Access Your Private School's FLKRS Site
- FLKRS/Star Early Literacy® FAQ (PDF)
- FLKRS Test Design Summary and Blueprint (PDF)
- Star Early Literacy® System Requirements (PDF)
- FLKRS/Star Early Literacy® Rostering
- Assigning Products to Classes
- Florida K-Readiness Introductory Video and Practice Test
- Users should finish watching the introductory video prior to beginning the practice test. The purpose of the practice test is to orient students and teachers to the Star Early Literacy system, functionality, and item types. The content of the practice test items is not indicative of the level of content that will be seen on the operational Star Early Literacy assessment.
- Star Early Literacy® Pretest Instructions (PDF)
- Star Early Literacy® Test Administration Manual (PDF)
- Star Assessments™ Administration Checklist (PDF)
- Star Assessments™ for Early Literacy Technical Manual (PDF)
- Florida K-Readiness Renaissance Place Help Desk: 1-800-338-4204 or email@example.com
- FLKRS Subdomain Guidance (PDF)
- Fall 2018 FLKRS Results by District (Excel)
- Fall 2018 FLKRS Results by School (Excel)
- Fall 2017 FLKRS Results by District (Excel)
- Fall 2017 FLKRS Results by School (Excel)
Presentations and Training Materials
- FLKRS/Star Early Literacy® District Webinar (June 27, 2019)
- FLKRS/Star Early Literacy® Private School Training Webinar