This webpage is intended to provide visitors with information and resources to support the Florida Social Studies Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and the Florida Department of Education’s Social Studies Education Program.
Social Studies Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (PDF) - This document is intended to assist readers in locating information related to the State of Florida’s Social Studies Education Program.
August 25, 2017 Virtual Supervisor Meeting
Recording (You must “register” to listen to the recording): Virtual Supervisor Meeting (8/25/2017)
Minutes: Virtual Supervisor Meeting (8/25/2017) (PDF)
Additions to the Instructional Resources page.
- September and October Featured Middle Grades Civics and High School United States History Standards
- Integrating Social Studies and the Arts: Founding Documents Webinar
Happenings in September
- Section 683.1455, Florida Statutes (F.S.), designates the month of September annually as “American Founders' Month.” Section 1003.44, F.S., encourages public schools to coordinate instruction at all grade levels related to the nation’s founding fathers.
- Section 1003.42, F.S., requires public school districts to commemorate the founding principles of our nation during the last full week of September.
- United States Public Law (PDF) requires that public educational institutions receiving federal funds teach about the Constitution on September 17 each year. Observe Monday, September 18, 2017.
- National Hispanic Heritage Month 2017 in United States of America begins on Friday, September 15, and ends on Sunday, October 15.
Select resources can be found on the Social Studies Instructional Resources page under “Events, Holidays, and Observances (September - August).”
The Florida Council for the Social Studies annual conference will be held October 20 to October 22, 2017.
Initiatives and Programs
- Florida State Statute 1003.4156 - General requirements for middle grades promotion
- Florida State Statute 1003.42 - Required instruction
- Florida State Statute 1003.421 - Recitation of the Declaration of Independence
- Florida State Statute 1003.4282 - Requirements for a standard high school diploma
- Florida State Statute 1003.44 - Patriotic programs; rules
- Florida State Statute 1003.45 - Permitting study of the Bible and religion; permitting brief meditation period
- Florida State Statute 1008.22 - Student assessment program for public schools
Department of Education Resources
- 2016-2017 Course Directory
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments
- Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats)
- User Guide: Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats) (PDF)
- Toolkits: Civics and United States History
- Florida Association of Social Studies Supervisors
- Florida Council For The Social Studies
- Florida Council on Economic Education
- Florida Humanities Council
- National Council for History Education
- National Council For The Social Studies
Social Studies Education Specialist
Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 424
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400