Third Grade Guidance
Third Grade Guidance and Resources
Florida Statutes and Florida State Board of Education Rules
- Section 1008.25, Florida Statutes
Guidance and Resources
- Promotion to Grade 4 Technical Assistance Paper (PDF)
- Read to Learn booklet for parents of Florida’s third grade students (PDF)
- Read to Learn booklet for parents of Florida's third grade students - Spanish (PDF)
- Third Grade Portfolio Guidance (PDF)
Alternative Assessments For Good Cause Promotion
In accordance with section 1008.25(6)(b)(3), F.S., and State Board Rule 6A-1.094221, F. A.C., districts may submit for approval alternate assessments to be used for good cause promotion to email@example.com.
Assessments must meet the following criteria found in Rule 6A-1.094221, F. A. C.:
- Internal consistency reliability coefficients of at least 0.80;
- High validity evidenced by the alignment of the test with nationally recognized content standards, as well as specific evidence of content, concurrent or criterion validity;
- Norming studies within the last five (5) to ten (10) years, with norming within five (5) years being preferable; and
- Serves as a measure of grade 3 achievement in reading comprehension.
The following assessments have been approved for use. The percentile required on each assessment is also provided.
SAT-10: 45th Percentile
Terranova: 50th Percentile
ITBS: 50th Percentile
NWEA MAP: 50th Percentile
STAR Enterprise: 50th Percentile (must use Enterprise version)
I-Ready: 50th Percentile (must use Table 6 from 2016-2017 Norms to determine percentile) I-Ready Table 6 (PDF)
I-Station: 50th Percentile
The following assessments have been submitted for approval by a district and are pending approval; notification will be made to all districts once a determination is made.
No pending reviews at this time.
The following assessments were denied approval and the portion of the rule which eliminated the assessment is provided.
- Discovery Education Assessment - Did not meet criteria 1, 2 or 3
- AIMS Web - Did not meet criteria 4